Teaching for Competence Across the Language Skills
The course will introduce students to the Common European Framework of Languages and the Austrian National Curriculum. It will focus on a variety of teaching techniques used to promote receptive and productive language skills.
• To familiarize students with a variety of teaching techniques and strategies to develop learners’ receptive and productive skills
• To raise awareness of diverse approaches to working with vocabulary, grammar and pronunciation
• To critically analyse teaching techniques, materials and forms of assessment
• To reflect on the principles informing various teaching approaches
• To develop competences in identifying and addressing differing learner needs across the language skills
• Reflection tasks on the curriculum and the Common European Framework of Languages
• Tasks promoting critical analysis and evaluation of teaching materials
• Creating communicative exercises
• Evaluating approaches to testing and assessing of written and oral skills
• Independent student work
Assessed group activities and in-class presentations throughout the semester. Personal project folder at the end of the course.
All material for the course will be provided in the form of handouts.